The southwest wing


14.05.2011

Around the end of the 18th century, at about the same time as the chapel of the Holy Belt, the wing of the southwest wall, called “Theophilus’s”, was constructed. This building burned down in 1854 and a few years later was depicted in ruins in a photograph by Sevastianov*. In 1864-1866 it was replaced by the current southwest wing. The new wing was built according to traditional techniques, but its design shows the influence of European academic architecture. At the end of the 19th century, the two floors of its northern section were reconstructed under neoclassical influence.

* The first Russian traveler to scientifically photograph monasteries and relics of Mount Athos.

The bell tower and the southwest cordon