The hospital


14.05.2011

The Vatopedi monastery already had a hospital since Byzantine times. Its building was connected to the church of Agioi Anargyroi, which is located near the inner southwest corner of the precinct. This hospital is represented in copper engravings of the 18th century, while in a description of the following century, which is probably related to it, it is described as wooden on stone pillars. We also know that it was saved from the fire of 1854. According to an inscription, a hospital was also housed in the new building with the superimposed arched vaults, which emerged after the reconstructions of 1654 at the western end of the north wing. The newer hospital, which continues to operate to this day, was built in 1858-60 according to traditional methods, but its design clearly shows the influences of European academic architecture. It is located inside a small enclosure, attached to the outside of the eastern side of the monastery enclosure and with access behind the catholicon.

Partial view of the hospital courtyard
Corridor in the hospital