The wine cellar (wine cellar)
14.05.2011
The wine cellar (wine cellar) is located in the northwest corner of the enclosure. It is possibly the “wine cellar”, which the “Patria” attributes together with “the grain storehouses” and the “ourion” (orion or granary) to the ruler of Wallachia Neagoe Bassarab (1512-1521). According to copper engravings, these two spaces were probably housed together in a two-story building in front of the stables, while according to another historical source it was located on either side of the latter. The southern part of the current wine cellar formerly housed the bordonario, but it was mutilated at the end of the 19th century, when the current gate of the Monastery was opened. Until the end of the same century, along with the winepress, the winepresses also operated inside the Monastery, which were replaced in 1901 by a new building on a high location outside the monastery grounds.




