The chapel of Panagia Paramythia


14.05.2011

Between the chapel of Agios Dimitrios and the northern cord, on the floor of the northwest corner of the catholicon, the chapel of Panagia tis Paramythias was built and decorated in 1678 "with the assistance" of the Metropolitan of Laodicea Gregory, a church dedicated to the miraculous icon of Panagia tis Paramythias. It is a small church with an octagonal dome, in the type of a compressed cruciform inscribed. Only the eastern part of its dome and tympanum is visible, as it is integrated into the surrounding architecture. The sanctuary does not have a niche and is housed with a semi-cylindrical arch, while the apse is also absent. The lack of windows makes the interior very dark. To the west of the chapel, which is built on a vaulted passageway, a straight marble staircase was formed, which leads to the chapel and from there to the third level of the string.

"Virgin Mary the Fairytale". Wall-mounted fresco in the homonymous chapel of the catholicon
Chapel of Paramythia; Saints Mercury and Theodore (1677/1678)
Chapel of Paramythia; Saint John of Damascus (1677/1678)