The chapel of Saint Apostle Andrew


14.05.2011

The chapel of St. Andrew the Apostle is located in the northern wing of the Monastery, directly above the chapel of St. George. It belongs to the type of condensed cruciform registered church. The main church is covered with a wide dome, which protrudes above the roof of the wing; the sanctuary, which does not have a niche, has an arch and the small simple one with a boat-shaped dome. According to an inscription on the outer surface of the lintel, it was built in 1788 at the expense of the Metropolitan of Drama Gerasimos of Parion and under the supervision of the sacristy Philotheos of Moudaniotos. Its only aspect, the southern one, has masonry made of alternating rows of processed stones and bricks, ceramic crosses and windows with arched skylights. The interior of the church is decorated with frescoes from 1798, according to a second inscription on the lintel. Characteristic are the elegant marble columns of the trivelos, the wood-carved iconostasis, the fresco of the founder of Drama Gerasimos and the double-headed eagle in the navel of the floor.

Chapel of Saint Andrew. South view
Chapel of Saint Andrew. Temple (last decade of the 18th century). General view
Chapel of Saint Andrew - Temple (last decade of the 18th century) Detail