The chapel of Saint Panteleimon
14.05.2011
The chapel of Saint Panteleimon is located on the southeastern cord of the Monastery, in the middle of the central wing of the hospital. According to an inscription in its NE corner, it was built together with the rest of the complex in 1857, probably by an architect of academic architecture. It belongs to the condensed Athonite type. The main church is housed with a wide, bright dome, the sanctuary, which has a single niche, with an arch, and the simple one with a flat roof. The latter is separated from the main church by an elegant tribel with marble columns. It has an attic, which is open to the main church, and has direct access from the corridor of the floor. The existence of catechumens, common in large Athonite monuments, facilitated in this specific case the attendance of the patients on the floor. Both the exterior and interior are characterized by a simple and clean style, free from the picturesqueness of the monuments of the previous century.



