The chapels of Saint Minas and Saint Theodore


14.05.2011

The adjacent chapels of Agios Minas and Agioi Theodoroi are located in the southwest wing. They were built, together with the building to which they belong, around 1864-66. They belong to the condensed cruciform inscribed type of churches. The main church of the upper chapel (Agioi Theodoroi) is covered by a dome with a high drum, while that of the lower floor with a dome without a drum. Thus, the originality appears, the lower of two adjacent chapels, not simply having the flat roof created by the floor of the one above. The sanctuary of both churches has a boat-shaped roof. Their simplicity is elementary separated from the main church. On the visible (eastern) side, the masonry is formed of gray carved stones, which in the upper chapel alternate with rows of thin marble domes.

The group of chapels of Agios Minas and Agios Theodoros