The chapel of Saint Apostle Thomas
14.05.2011
The chapel of Saint Thomas the Apostle is located in the southeastern wing of the Monastery. It belongs to the type of condensed cruciform registered church. The main church is covered with a wide dome; the sanctuary, which does not have a niche, has an arch and the apse has a sloping roof. The latter has large windows and is expanded with a shallow balcony to the west. While the building is not particularly interesting from the outside, the interior is particularly pleasant and bright. The wide dome, the elaborately carved wooden iconostasis and the configuration of the apse, which is separated from the main church by an elegant trivelo, decorated with Baroque motifs, are impressive. According to the founding inscription inside, the chapel was built in 1815 at the expense of the previous abbot, Jeremiah Moudaniotis.



